Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Story of Skating

Two things that I really enjoy are Latin American culture and skateboarding. As a kid in junior high skateboarding was my life. Everyday after school I would meet up with my friends and skate out in the front yard, or wherever we could. I soon entered high school and got caught up with the madness of marching band, my ska band, and of course, girls. I guess you could say I kinda took a hiatus from skating.
At age 19 I left on a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to Lima, Peru. As I served the people of Peru I gained a great appreciation for them and their country. One experience that I often reflect upon is the time I was in a little town on the outskirts of Lima called Marquez. It was a humble town along the beach, and one day I happened to see a kid in the plaza with a Blind board. I asked if I could borrow it for a minute, and sure enough he let me do a few tricks. I was surprised that I landed a kickflip first try. I also did a few shuvits and 180s, and before I knew it a crowd had gather around me. As they stood there I could see by the looks on their faces that they were pretty impressed with my simple tricks. Needless to say people were more anxious to talk to me, and when they sat down and learned how to gain true happiness through the gospel of Jesus Christ. They had no idea this skateboarding gringo had a message that could truly bless their lives.
Skateboarding has definitely blessed my life. It has given me an outlet to release my stress in a positive way. It is a good source of exercise to keep me fit. And it has opened doors to sharing the gospel.
Chico Brenes is a good example of someone who is "Living the American Dream" but always remembering, and never forgetting, his humble roots. He does a lot to promote skateboarding in his home country of Nicaragua. He is an inspiration to me and many others. His motives are simple. Spend time with his family, including his father whom he hasn’t seen in five years, share his countries beauty and culture with his fellow American skateboarders and finally, to give back to Nicaragua and help strengthen the burgeoning skate scene of his homeland. Click on the link to check out his trip.
Firsthand: "Chico Brenes" Episode

0 comments:

Post a Comment